Were do I start? I know a lot of you have been checking the blog for updates. I feel so lost. When I start to think about everything that has happened and try to put it down my mind goes in a hundred directions.
I got a call early morning on the 23rd. The crazy thing is I knew what it was before I even answered it. I had just finished feeding my baby when the phone rang. My dad said "I have no easy way to tell you this but mom is gone." I cried this awful cry that I have never heard before, I guess it was more of a scream. I told dad I would be on my way. I packed as quick as I could but even then I felt lost. I am very grateful to have such a in tune husband. Before we left he asked if he could give me a blessing. I don't think I would have made it through the week without his love and support. We decided we would wait and tell the kids a little later. There is a spot on the rim were we stop to play in the snow, let the dogs out or just let the kids loose for a while. Ryan and I decided to stop there and tell our children. That was one of the hardest parts of all of this. My poor kids they love her so much. There poor little hearts broke, they cried so hard. We didn't think Katelee understood, she just stayed quiet. Just as we were leaving she started crying. She wanted to know if that meant that her grandma couldn't hold her anymore.
From the minute we arrived we had so much love and support. I am now very grateful for that. At first when everyone kept coming I just wanted to lock the door and be alone with my family. My dad said Char these people loved your mom to, they need to come. This is how they will heal. After that I truly enjoyed everyone of you who came by. It was a pleasant distraction and I loved hearing stories and memories of my mom. She loved and touched so many.
I don't think that any of it was easy or will be easy. We went to the mortuary the next day to get going on things. When we went in to pick out the casket that was a hard decision. Becky and I kept saying none of them looked like mom. When we finally had a good cry Brett led us in the right direction. I can't help but think my mom was there pointing us in the right direction. Brett said look she loved wood work and she always made dad line everything in cedar. There was the most beautiful cedar casket. As Brett said there will never be another like it with the same grains or knots. That was a easy choice. There will never be another like her.
My good friend Kahtleen (thank you) kept my kids that day so we could get everything done. After picking my kids up from her house we headed to my dads, It was so quiet. Mason said look a rainbow. I swear there wasn't a cloud in the sky but this rainbow was so bright and stayed so long. Mason proceeded to say Grandma loved rainbows maybe she sent it. Tears just feel. I felt her so strong. We told our kids that grandma could see us, and that she wanted them to know she was still with us and that she loved us.
From the minute I received the call I had all kinds of thoughts running through my head. It's crazy because in talking to Becky we had a lot of the same thoughts. I remember thinking right away please let me be strong enough to dress her. I remember my mom telling me how hard it was to dress her mom but how grateful she was that she did it. I also remember thinking I wanted to be able to honor her like she did her mom but I didn't think that I would be able to do it. As for the viewing and the funeral what great support we had. My feet and back hurt so bad by the time we got home from the viewing.
The day of the funeral it was pretty surreal. I think I kept myself pretty numb most of the week, I don't think I could have done it any other way. I hope Brett and I did mom justice with the life sketch. We had so much to say and not enough time. As for everything else I was truly moved. The Smiths did such a beautiful job. Aunt Geneva and Aunt Verlyn I think you made her proud. Thank you Uncle Larry for your wonderful talk. Even our little ones did so well honoring there grandma. To my cousins so sorry for the crazy mess we had you all going through, but I do think it was worth it, you guys sounded amazing(thank you Belinda for finding the music). That last song when the congregation joined in I felt the spirit so strong. Thank you Bishop and everyone in the ward who made such a hard day run so perfect.
The week went by so fast but yet so slow. My first night my little boy cried his self asleep in my arms. After I put him to sleep I laid there so mad. Mad at all of this ,mad that I started to believe the doctor, mad that I talk to her every day sometime 3 and 4 times a day but the only day I didn't call and tell her I loved her I would never get that chance again. Mad that the Doctor didn't come and pronounce mom so they were having to now do a autopsy. Mad that they let her lay there for so long. Mad I didn't listen when she said, we need to get 4 generation pictures done with Grandpa and Tess. Mad that she's not going to be here to do all of my girls weddings. Mad that I took so much for granted, that I didn't learn to make her panoch or that I didn't learn to crochet like her or sew like her. So much I still need from her. Sometimes I feel so selfish, because it's all about me and what me and my kids need.
Brett, what can I say he was amazing through all of this. The way he reminded us to be strong and kept us on task so that we could honor our mother the way she deserved it. When we went to pick out flowers for the funeral, we already had so many and there were still more orders coming in but Brett always gave my mom Lilies and Birds of Paradise and wanted to give them to her one more time. I loved that. When we were working her life sketch we wanted it just perfect and Brett worked day and night making sure it was. He has always been such a good son and brother he always wanted to take care of mom.
Becky and T.J. are responsible for that beautiful video of my mom. She spent many hours making sure it was just perfect. She kept track of everyone of you and everything that was brought by the house. I want her to know that she is stronger than she thinks she is. I want her to know that I am so proud of her.
My dad is hanging in there. I am and have always been grateful that he is not afraid to show his emotion. Dad loves mom so much, she was his best friend. He didn't really ever date anyone but her. I worry about him. The mornings are hardest for him, but he keeps his self as busy as he can. I just wish he was sleeping better. I will be here for a couple more weeks, I think he will be ready for me to go. He is so strong and I know he will hold us all together.
As for all of our better half's. I really don't know where to start. This has been just as hard for them as it was for us. Thank you Nick for being so great. I knew you would make it through the song. It was beautiful. I feel like I have such a good bond with you. Mark thank you for always putting up with my mom's demands! Thank you for honoring her with that beautiful family prayer. Ry thanks for finding all the fun pictures and always keeping it light. Thank you for also honoring her with the opening prayer, mom loved you all and shared many special memories with you.
Kent and Kay. Thank you for making sure we were alright. Thank you for driving all day to be here for us. For loving and holding your grand kids. You will never know how much that ment to me.
I'm grateful to have been able to listen to conference this weekend. It seemed like all the talks where meant for us. President Monson said it perfect nothing is as constant as change and that we must all deal with change. Some are welcome some are not. The changes in my life and yours are only in the details. Time stands still for know one. We all have to continue to march on. This is our one and only chance at mortal life here and now. The longer we live the greater our realization is that it is brief. Among the greatest lesson that we are to learn while we are here is the difference between what is important and what is not. I loved this quote, "You pile up enough tomorrows and you'll find that you've collected a lot of empty yesterdays." There is no tomorrow to remember if we don't do something today. There is no going back but only forward. Rather than dwelling on the past we should make the most of today. Stresses of our lives come regardless of our circumstances we must learn to dell with them. But we should not let them stand in the way of what is most important to us, the ones we love. All to often we assume that they know how much we love them, but we should never assume. It is all to easy to take some one for granted until that day when it's to late.
I'm sorry I said I couldn't think straight. This has been all over the place. There is so much more I would like to write but I think I have gone on long enough. I apologize for the misspelled words and the bad punctuation, I wish I were better at all of that. Thank you everyone for all of your love and support. It's amazing how many people I haven't seen in so long and got to visit with. We are so grateful for FAMILY AND GOOD FRIENDS. Thank you for all of the food, flowers, love, support and especially thank you for all of your prayers. We do feel them. Please continue to pray for all of us but especially Becky. She is having a really hard time with all of this and with her health. I am grateful for the knowledge of the plan of salvation. I know that christ suffered and died so that we can all return to live with him again. I am grateful that I was taught by both my parents right from wrong and I pray that I will do my part so that I might live with mom again. I am grateful to be a member of this church. I am grateful to have had my mom here with me for as long as I did.
I did get some great advice from so many people. So for now I think I will continue to hold my kids close and take it one day at a time.
Tomorrow will be two weeks since I received that awful call. I MISS HER EVERYDAY.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


23 comments:
Oh Char, I'm so sorry. I don't even know what to say. I will still help in ANY way I can. I love you so much!
Charlee,
I was very sorry to hear about your mom. I truly wish I could have made it to her funeral. My dad said it was very beautiful. Please know that I have been keeping your family in our prayers. Please let your dad, Becky and Brett know that I am praying for them also. If there is anything I can do at all please let me know. My email is debbiedennism@hotmail.com.
Debbie (Hunt) Meitner
Charlee - you express yourself so well! What a great Mom you have and a great Mom you are! Thanks for reminding me how precious life is, and letting people know you love them! We sure love your family, we will continue to keep you in our prayers, and pray for your comfort!! Love, Barb
Hey girl,
My heart broke for your family when I heard the news. Your mom was such an amazing person. I'm so glad you have such a great family to love and support you through this. I know your mom would be proud of all of you and how you've honored her.
Love ya girl!
Amy
I am so proud of you. I want you to know how much my testimony has grown. And I know with out a doubt that SO many testimony's have been strengthened & hearts full of sorrow have been uplifted, ALL because of your MoM. I know the price to pay is tuff but I know how UNselfish your Mother truely is. And she knew that this would not be easy...but bring MANY blessings to all.
Our arms ache to hold them..just one more time & give them just one more kiss. That day will come.
I love you Char. Thank You for your example & strength. On your rollercoaster of emotions just know that He is there. He is accessible & available at a moment's notice. In Mosiah 24:14 we read "Ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their afflictions" He will stand by us always.
"Love you much" (somethen your mom would say to me) :-)
Hi Charlee - I didn't get a chance to tell you how wonderful you and Brett did at the funeral. It was such an honor..and very hard to sing, but I felt like we were strengthened and blessed not to cry. Your mom was such a wonderful lady - and so kind to my kids - I really appreciate her for how she was to my kids. If there is anything we can do, please let us know. We continue to pray for you all everyday. I know how close all of you are with your mom... Take Care - Love - Kalee
Char-I loved your comment. You did such a beautiful job. I am so proud of you and the examples you set for everyone else. You're such a good mother, just like your mother was. I am truely going to miss her and her sweet voice. I am so grateful the someday we'll be able to see her again. Love you Char :)
I have been thinking of you from the moment I learned of this sad, sad day. I can't imagine the pain but I have felt the spirit of a loved one guiding me as I know your mom is doing for you now. Stay strong and always remember to talk to your kids about their grandma. There will come a day when the only one that can bring them comfort during a bad dream or a sad time will be her.
Anissa said that the service was beautiful and that you all did a great job. Your mom IS proud of the kids she raised and the strength you ALL have.
I have been checking your blog and I'm glad you posted. I don't think it was all over the place at all...I think it was beautifully put. I know I can't take away any of your pain but I am always here and willing to listen. I love you and your family so much. You have been and will continue to be in my prayers. Hang in there!
Char, Thank you so much for sharing such intimate feelings about what you guys went through. I too wish that we could have been there with you guys. Your mom was an amazing person. I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to know her. She did an amazing job as a mom and it shows in the type of mother you are. I know how much she loved her family and loved being able to help you all. I also know how much pain she had been in and how she wished that she could be well enough to do more with you all.
I had a very close friend pass away with cancer. Before it got bad, she told me that if she thought she could help her children more from the other side, she would go that day. I know what an unselfish woman your mother was and I'm sure she had that same attitude. I truly believe that she will now be able to be with all of you and help you in ways that she would not have been able to in her mortal body. This way she is closer than those phone calls you depended on. You also have so many wonderful memories to lean on and I know how you and your kids will cherish them. We love you and miss you.
I don't know what to say other than that was a beautiful well written post that brought tears to my eyes. My thoughts and prayers have been on your family since I heard the news. Hold strong, and keep praying and just know that she is in a better place now and that one day you will see her again.
Charlee,
I have always looked up to MY AUNT Charlayne so much. She was such a special person. I am so grateful she was my Aunt. I have so many great memories of her,and will cherish them forever. I wished so much that I could been there for her funeral. I loved your post-you are an amazing,strong,beautiful person. We love you guys and you are in our prayers everyday!
Love,
Kari
Charlee I'm so sorry for your loss. My heart breaks for you and your family. Your mom was such an amazing person and you and your sister are just the same. You and Brett did such a wonderful job at the funeral, that would have been so hard to do but you really did her proud. Your mom will be so missed! Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you guys, I sure love ya.
What an amazing tribute and thought from you. It truly is inspiring. Keep your head up high and know that you are in so many prayers and are loved by so many people. You guys should be proud of who you are and how you turned out because of your mom. She will be your angel watching you and you will see her again. We love you and will help you if you need anything.
Charlee -
This is Erin (McEwen). I came across your blog several weeks ago while "blog stalking" and I've been meaning to get in touch with you. I was so sad to hear about your mom. I have sent a card to your parent's home but wanted to let you know what a beautiful family you have! Your children will comfort you and bless through all of this for in them, you will see your mother and her influence in you as a mother, wife, and family member. I pray for you and your family. It never gets easier but time will start to ease the hurt. Love, Erin
erinyoung25@hotmail.com
Charlee~ I was so glad to hear from. I miss you and your sweet little family. I was completely saddened to read of the passing of your Mother. I always thought it was so fun that our Moms grew up together. I can picture your Mom from the few times I met her and see her beautiful smile. My heart goes out to you. I can't imagine how you feel. I do know that Heavenly Father knows you and loves you. Stay close to Him and He will help you feel at peace. You are a wonderful and amazing person and so full of strength and love. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Keep in touch...and tell McKenzie that Kynlee was thrilled that she said hi and that Kynlee says hi back. Love ~Kyra
Char,
I've just re-read your post again and cried some more. I know that you have given me a determination to do BETTER and do it NOW. I appreciate you sharing your feelings with all of us as it will inspire many.
I've said this before, but I want to just fast forward through this trial in your life and shield you from the pain your feeling. But I also know that it is from these life changing trials that we become who our Heavenly Father wants us to be. You already are such a wonderful mother, wife, daughter, sister and friend and an amazing example to so many. I know your mom is largely to be credited for that. I also know it is through trials like these that "refine" us into somethng more - which your Mother will also continue to have her hand in. And we will continue to learn from your great example.
I love and admire you so much and pray that you will continue to feel the comforting spirit as you navigate through this trial.
I am always here.
Charlee,
I can't imagine how you must feel. My heart breaks for your family. I was so sad I wasn't in town for her funeral. I heard you all did such a beautiful job. You shouldn't worry at all about how you write, I love how you told about your experience. You have a strong family and are a great example to the rest of us of what it truly means to be a family. Your mom was such an amazing mom, just like you. She really left a part of herself in each of you. You're in our prayers.
Layla
I did not know of your loss until I read your e-mail. Thank you for sharing the details and your feelings with those of us who couldn't be there! I can't even imagine everything you are going through, but I also have many fun memories of your mom. She was SO supportive of you guys. My thoughts are prayers will be with you.
Charlee, Thank you so much for sharing your feelings during this difficult time. I've felt so guilty because I wasn't able to stand & sing with my family to honor Charlayne. I so wish I could have been there to do that!
Your mom has ALWAYS been an inspiration to me. The Lord gave me alot ... but watching your mom has helped me many times through my trials. Even when her body was hurting so badly, I felt she never let it show. Oh how I admired that about her. She was & will always be an amazing Lady to me. I hope I can endure to the end like your mom. She will never be forgotten! I so hope she knew how much I loved her.
Please know that I pray for your dad & all of your family daily. I know your mom is so very proud of you. You're an amazing woman, just like your mom. I Love you & your beautiful family so much. Valee Smith.
Char,
There are no words.. I cried all the way through this. I am so sorry. Your words are so uplifting. I hope you know I would love to help out in any way possible. take care.
I can't even comment through all the tears. What a beautiful post. We felt so lost when we found out. We were helpless to know what to do. Lamely I called you guys, not knowing what to say if you picked up.
We love you and are still praying for you.
Wow, very nicely written. Thank you for sharing...
Post a Comment