Those of you who don't know I decided this year to homeschool my kids. I know pretty scary! It's something I've thrown around for a few years, I just never had the guts to do it. My two main reason for actually going through with it was My mom, I guess the last year has kind of scared me and I would like to be close to her when ever is needed. Mason is the other major reason. He just hasn't had really many great experiences with school and was really having a hard time as a result.
Anyway so the other day I was getting ready to start some schooling with the kids when McKenzie pipes up:
McKenzie: Mom this boy at church said that in 4th grade I should be learning cubics and if I don't learn them that I would fail in life.
Me: Kenzie I'm pretty sure if you don't learn cubics in 4th grade your not going to be a failure. I am a stay at home mom but I don't think there's anything more important, and I have never used cubics(not really sure what they are). I'm teaching you lots of really important things.
McKenzie: Ya I guess your right, learning the scriptures is probably the most important thing for me right now.
My jaw drops and she walks away. We are reading the Book of Mormon in the morning before we start but we are also learning math, science, reading, and writing. I thought about it for a minute, actually for the last few days and she is so right. In all truth it started mostly for me. I don't know the scriptures like I should, but they are loving it. I love how kids just get it.
So I guess it depends on how you look at it. I might be failing in the other subjects but I think we are doing just fine!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
Hey Char-That is the truth. Don't worry, I don't know what cubics are either. Hope everything is going well for you and your sweet family. We miss you being here. Love ya....
I couldn't agree with Kenzi more! I love our children's innocence and how they remind us of what really matters in life! I have no doubt that your kids will be academically prepared as well as spiritually prepared! Your an awesome mom!
Hey sis,
You never did like anything to do with Math so it doesn't come as a suprise that you don't know what cubics are. I still love you though!!! I think what you are doing with your kids is great and you have so much patience with them it just amazes me. Keep up the good work! Here are a few things you can teach Mckenzie about cubics.
1.
a. having three dimensions
b. having the same volume as a cube with length, width, and depth each measuring the given unit: a cubic metre
2. having the shape of a cube
3. Maths involving the cubes of numbers
1. Referring to a volume unit of measurement.
2. Involving a number or a variable that has been raised to the third power.
3. Relating to a crystal having three axes of equal length intersecting at right angles. The mineral pyrite has cubic crystals. Also called isometric
Now doesn't it all make sense!
Love Ya!
Charlee, I am so-o proud of YOU! you were the perfect Kindergarten student and I think you'll be the perfect teacher ! I am so glad for this blog thing...I read yours all the time and sometimes I get so misty eyed I can't send a reply, but this time i'm typing through the tears anyway. Keep up the godd work with your precious family!
All I have to say is way to go. You are so brave. I have debated that a few times my self. It sounds like you are on the right track as far as a spiritual growth goes. Good job Charlee, your a great mom.
You are my new hero. I have debated this issue for so long and have come to the conclusion that I am just not brave enough. you are amazing! and so far you must be doing something right if you got a reply like that from your daughter!
What's a cubic?
Maybe I'll show up to your class one day.
Post a Comment